Thursday, August 2, 2012

"I can't imagine..."

It always encourages me to hear that people from my church are reading this blog. It also slightly scares me, too. What will they think? Will they think I'm crazier than I already am? Will they think I'm making this up? Or will it provide a genuine window into my life? After some feedback last night, I was thankful to hear that people don't think I'm crazy, and are really concerned about how I am doing.

The phrases that I heard most often were things like this:

"I can't imagine what you're going through."
"I could never deal with all of that."
"I don't know how you do it."

My first reaction is, to be honest... I don't know how I do it either. In fact, sometimes I feel like I don't really do anything. It God's grace at work through me that enables me to continue with daily life.

My second reaction is... I don't know how some of you do it. I cannot imagine the pain some of you deal with, the situations you find yourself in taking care of elderly parents, or the struggles you face raising your children. I cannot imagine any of those things, in the same way you cannot imagine my limitations and challenges.

This exchange of mutual, "I can't imagines..." reminds me of Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 10:12 & 13.
"Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 
I am thankful that God does not ask me to bear your trials, and I know most of you are thankful He has not given you my set of trials. But I am thankful (sometimes, right now I am... remind me of this later when I seem to need it!) that He has entrusted these trials, this suffering, to me. He has not revealed His reasons or the timetable, but He has commanded me that it is His will for me to rejoice during this time of testing.
"In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18
So as you read this blog, please, don't admire me for my strength. I promise, I have more moments of utter weakness than sheer strength. Don't pity me for my pain. Pray for me, that my faith would be stronger, that my surrender would be fuller, that my heart would be steadfast, and that my gaze would be upward. I am happy to do the same for you. One of the good things about being mostly house-bound with no where to go, no one to see, and nothing to do is that I have a lot of time to pray for people. If you need prayer for something, please, let me know. I promise you I will forget, but I have a journal and a pen that will remind me every day when I look at my list of people to pray for. Leave me a comment, or e-mail me at ednella.godfollower@gmail.com.

God bless you more.

3 comments:

  1. This.

    You said... exactly what I've been feeling for a while. I could have written that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have indeed :). In fact, you were partially in mind when writing it. No offense, but I'm glad I don't have your trials, Trial Buddy... but I am thankful to help you with them in prayer!

    Love,
    ~Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that's sweet... I think. :) Haha, yeah... and I'm glad I don't have yours. :P *grins a bit* God is really smart that way. I think... He just might know what He's doing. ;)

    Thank you for your prayers, and I'm praying for you too. :)

    Love,
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.