Thursday, August 30, 2012

10,000 Reasons... #4, 5, & 6

These blessings have been collected over the past several days. Praise God with me as you read! =)

#4. If you read my previous post, you can kind of skip this one, but I wanted to mention it again simply because it is such a little thing that wouldn't matter to most of the world, but made all the difference for me. Normally I am a very sunlight-loving person, but when I have a headache, the sunlight is like murder to my eyes and pounding head. The day of our drive back from the Detroit area was very sunny, and I already had a headache that had carried over from the day before. I knew I wasn't going to be a happy camper on the drive home. I had ibuprofen, but that wasn't helping much, despite the fact that it normally does. If only the world weren't so bright and sunny.... Enter my blessing for the day: a pair of welding glasses that actually fit over my glasses and made the world as dark as I needed it to be. Thanks, Abba! :)

#5. Remember my post from earlier this month - words, words, and The Word? One of the words on the first list, Kutapressin, was directly paired to another word on the second list: fear. Why? Because Kutapressin was the antiviral I thought Dr. Conley was going to recommend for me to take, and it is administered through daily self-injection. Those fears were pointless, because Dr. Conley didn't end up prescribing Kutapressin after all; he gave me a prescription for an oral tablet antiviral called Valtrex instead!

#6. Every year our little neighbor boy sells these "Save Around Erie" books with all kinds of coupons. Usually we use them for restaurants: Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, Moes, etc. The book costs $20 and saves way more than that, so its worth it. But we didn't know just how worth it it was to buy that coupon book this year! My dad was flipping through the book the other day and noticed a coupon to be used for getting 10-75% off prescriptions. What I didn't mention about Valtrex is that it is expensive... very expensive. Kutapressin would have cost $100/vial, and most people use 2 vials a month, so $200 per month. Valtrex generic costs almost that ($160) for seven days. Youch. My mom and I went to the pharmacy to find out what it would be to fill my script for 15 days. The discount with our insurance card brought the price to $357. Then my mom opened the coupon book. "I don't know if you accept this, but, what price would it be with this coupon?" It was $145 - less than what we had paid for less than half that dosage in June. Wow. God is good. Thanks, little neighbor boy. That $20 coupon book came in handy for saving $212 on that prescription. And since I have to refill it several times, the savings will be at least four times that since there are four of the coupons. Who knew? :)


2 comments:

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.