Monday, February 4, 2013

Heal vs Cure

This morning I was thinking about a particular issue and wondering what the cure was for that particular situation. A cure is something almost instant. It grants sure-fire, instant results. Our society is always searching for the cure... But I think there are very few cases in which we have actually found it.

Usually what we discover on our way to searching for a cure is actually more along the lines of symptom relief. We cover up the body's pain signals and declare that the problem has been fixed.

But has it been?

In some cases, yes. Taking Valtrex and slowly killing a virus in order that it can no longer reproduce itself does--after a long time--attack and solve a long-standing problem. But in another sense, the action of taking the medication can give an impression of curing a problem while actually leaving the root unaddressed.

The fact is, there is a reason why cell reproduction skyrockets out of control and mushrooms into cancer. There is an underlying cause for autoimmune diseases where the body attacks it's own organs as invaders. There is a breakdown in the body which is indicating that perfectly normal food is not able to be processed, causing a severe reaction. There is always a reason. The question is, what is that reason? And where do we look to find it?

I really can't answer that question for everyone and all cases. But I can tell you this: there is a reason.

The fact that I know that there is a reason gives me patience on the long road to healing. If I perceived Valtrex as a cure for my chronic fatigue, I am quite sure I would be very discouraged. Because, to be honest, I still have lots of issues that haven't been solved yet. Perhaps this is solely because of the candida overgrowth in my gut, but it seems as though there must be something deeper as relates to my energy production and metabolism that is still broken.

At least I know. This realization has come after a long time and after many reminders, but now at least this truth is on the forefront of my mind.

With this knowledge, I can do battle. I can continue to search for answers and helpful therapies. I've found one in particular that seems to help, and for it I am thankful.

I urge you that if you are dealing with a chronic illness, stop searching for "the cure". More than likely, there isn't one. Some people boast of being able to cure their cancer through this or that, but there is a reason we are all skeptical when we hear such claims. (Such as, well if it was really that easy, why doesn't it work for everyone?) and the reason for our skepticism is because we intuitively know, even if we cannot articulate, that in every body, there are underlying reasons why the body is responding in the way it is.

Cancer. Depression. Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis. Muscle aches and pains. The common cold. AIDS.

I doubt if we'll ever find the cures. But we can look for the paths to healing. There may be more than one, but it is important to remember: there is one. If the path you're on isn't working, don't give into despair. Try a new one. Take notes of what works. And never give up. Hope may be hard to come by, but at least it never dies.*

Searching for healing,
~Nella Camille

*This last line from Joni Eareckson Tada's article in The Journal for the Christian Institute on Disability, "Hope is the Best of Things."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.