Friday, February 15, 2013

When and How I Got Candida

People often wonder, "How long have you had candida? To be honest, I wasn't sure. Until yesterday. That was when I realised exactly when I got candida, and how.

An anti-candida diet is composed of legumes, beans, lentils, whole grains, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and meat. Grains are soaked and cooked, and eaten with vegetables, lentils, beans, or other grains. Grains are never combined with meats, as this hinders proper digestion. Meats are served with vegetables. The carbohydrate content of the diet is purposefully kept low. Probiotics, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh foods play an important part in killing the candida albicans.

Okay, now rewind to February 2010 of my life. I was living in North Carolina at the Mission. My roommates and I had just finished three-month shopping.

Three month shopping?

Yup. Three month food shopping. Buying a three-month's worth supply of food (which ended up lasting six months...) and not making any more trips to the grocery store except for milk and eggs.

My typical diet consisted of cold cereal with milk for breakfast; chicken with rice or pasta for lunch, or maybe a sandwich, or potatoes; and dinner was usually some kind of soup or meat dish.

No whole grains. Improper food combining. Stored food. Frozen rather than fresh vegetables. Grain-fed meat.

Was it any wonder my immune system was working overtime? Was it any wonder my skin was pimply and my hair came out in large quantities in the shower? Was it any wonder I gained weight and felt sluggish by the time spring rolled around? Nope.

And that, folks, is how I got candida. So the moral of the story is, shop for food frequently rather than in large quantities! Shop for fresh foods with whole nutrition. And read all you can about nutrition... before it's too late and you wind up with a nasty chronic bug yourself!

3 comments:

  1. So can you eat sprouted grain breads on a candida diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Aprille. That is a great question. I'm not too sure, but I can try to find an answer for you. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm still not positive about the answer to your question, Aprille. You can have certain kinds of bread. Usually you have to make them on your own out of certain kinds of flour (brown rice, amaranth). However, some of the recipes are not gluten free. I purchase a loaf from Wegmans called Fiber Bread, made by Glutino. I don't think the grains are sprouted. Provided the ingredients of the bread match with what the candida diet allows for, I imagine a sprouted grain bread would be just fine.

      Delete

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.