Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Giving

Before Valentine's Day, thousands of people go out to go shopping to find the perfect gift for that special someone. They really needn't go to all that trouble. They already have a very unique gift at their disposal... but so often it is overlooked, and never given as it should be.

This year, I am involved in a gift-giving process that continues to multiply. So far, I have given my hands to a friend who is having a bit of trouble with her own. I have given my ears to a lady who likes to talk a lot. I have given my very limited artistic ability to some friends who took care of me last year. I have even given myself something--the time, energy, and consideration to prepare healthy meals that I can eat, even going so far as to plan out menus and prepare meals ahead of time.

And the giving will continue. I plan to give my eyes to a lady who can't see too well but loves to read. I plan to give love to another lady who is lonely and doesn't get out too often. And I am sure I will think of other things and ways to give, too.

This gift I am giving... is myself. It is my time, my energy, my talents, my affection, my understanding, and my attention.

It doesn't take a lot of time, energy, or effort to give the gift of yourself. But it means a lot to the one who receives the gift, because it is a personalized gift that can be received from no one else. And, the gift gives back to you. It gives true and lasting joy, knowing that what you did was special to that other person.

What are you giving? What is it giving back to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.