Sunday, July 22, 2012

Internet Church-Goer

On my primary blog, Think Upon These Things, I posted a little while ago about Costly Worship. My worship doesn't feel very costly sometimes. But there has been one thing that has changed about church attendance since my illness began. I now 'attend' church online. Whether its from the comfort of my bedroom or the slightly-less comfortable (but still quiet and cool) church office, I seldom am able to participate in a church service. Singing, standing, and interacting with so many people all in the space of a few hours prove too much of a mental stimulus for me, so I typically arrive at church with my mom between Sunday School and church, greet a few close friends, and then head downstairs to listen to the service from the livestream. Sometimes I lay down on the couch in the office. Other times I sit up with my Bible open and take notes. But whatever I end up doing, it usually isn't what most people think of when church attendance comes to their minds. I am thankful for our church's technical crew, especially my brother, who set up the live stream several years ago, who maintain this system and make it possible for me to at least listen, even if I am unable to actively participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.