Thursday, July 19, 2012

An Explanation of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Part 4)

4.) Energy production/transportation impairments.

If I was light in the symptoms of the previous group, I am not so fortunate in this group. I had fun reading this section of the journal article, though, because it helped me understand and identify some of the symptoms I had been experiencing but didn't know how to explain. The biggest one like this is called orthostatic intolerance, which is basically the inability to tolerate an upright position. This is one reason why church attendance is so difficult for me, especially in the morning. Some of you who attend church with me know that I used to sit on the floor during Sunday School. The only way I could explain it was that it was less work for me to try to support my entire chest and that sitting on the floor in the corner I was more fully supported and used less energy. Now I know why - orthostatic intolerance! Lighteheadedness or dizziness can follow if I do not sit down quickly enough, or if I am fatigued and sitting down, signalling that my body can no longer even sit and I must lie down.

Particularly bothersome the past two weeks or so have been a respiratory difficulty which has caused me a great deal of difficulty breathing. At first I assumed that my sinuses were clogged. But when nasal massages, hot showers, and steam inhalation failed to shake anything loose, I quickly realised that I was not having difficulty breathing because of my sinuses being clogged, but simply because I was so tired I could hardly breathe. This has improved somewhat with rest, but remains an issue. Thankfully, a good friend reminded me that breathing was an automatic bodily function like a heartbeat or blinking, so I didn't have to worry that I would stop breathing while I was sleeping. (Although, I must admit, I almost said to her, "What are you talking about? Breathing is work!")

Another symptom of both the adrenal fatigue and the ME is "loss of thermostatic stability," or a constantly fluctuating temperature. My temperature consistently runs low (the most consistent reading I've gotten is 97.3 degrees Farenheit), but I often feel feverish especially during the evening or night. Please note that this is not due to summer heat. In fact, this symptom was worse during the early spring months. I thought for several nights in a row that I had a fever so I bought a thermometer so that I could track my temperature. However, despite feeling feverish, my temperature was very low - sometimes as low as 96.2 - despite feeling hot and sweating. One symptom which has 'improved' due to summer heat is cold extremities. My feet and fingers positively feel like ice blocks in the winter! But they have finally thawed! Either way, summer or winter, I have a difficult time with extreme temperatures on either end. I know we all prefer a nice even 70 all year long, but I do especially. Sometimes climate control makes this easier, but other times very strong air conditioning can make me feel just as poorly as a hot, humid afternoon.

If you have read this far, thank you! You are a good listener and a patient friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.