Sunday, July 15, 2012

Horace

In my last post, I mentioned that I sometimes have chronic headaches which can last for days or weeks. I decided to name these recurrent headaches, so I chose Horace. It seemed a harsh-sounding, unfriendly name, and it just so happens to also sound quite similar to 'horrible.' Horace has been on vacation the past few days, but I can feel him coming back. I can feel exhaustion settling in, and I can feel my chest tightening with deepening fatigue and heightening stress as I try to research ME doctors who could possibly provide a diagnosis and some treatment or relief. As Horace comes back, a mental battle ensues. Will I give in to Horace? Will I submit to allowing his presence to sour my attitude and temper? Or will I instead fight to remain positive and focus on God and His plan? Without His permission, Horace can neither come nor stay. I am reminded of the verse in my blog's header, Psalm 119:92. "Unless Your word had been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction." So, instead of pouting, I am off to fight a battle - not with Horace, because I have no control over him, but a battle within my heart to strive to hold on to God's word and its priority in influencing my emotions, feelings, and attitudes. So, with that, I'm off to read some Psalms of Ascents. Will you climb those heights with me?

4 comments:

  1. Man...that is a true struggle. I'm praying for you! His grace is sufficient! That's what He told Paul when he asked for his thorn to be removed. Such a good reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 121 is a great one of the ascent psalms. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking a lot about those verses in 2 Corinthians 12. Thanks, Ang :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psalm 119:92 was an encouraging reminder to me, Camille! I understand the ongoing battle to remain hopeful when life is a daily struggle. I am so sorry for these recurring headaches. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Love you, Aunt Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.