Friday, July 20, 2012

Three Encouraging Songs

Dear X, You Do Not Own Me - The first time I heard this song, I loved it. Which, if you know my musical tastes, is a little bit surprising, because this is not really my style. I loved the fighting spirit behind it most, and also the defiant declaration, "You, pain, hate, shame, anger, do not, cannot, and will not control or define my life." So let it be recorded here, "Dear ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis), you do not own me."

Invisible - Another surprising like. This song first attracted my attention a few months ago when I was considering self-harm because there was so much sin in my life and so much distance between me and God. I did feel invisible - to God, to my friends who were living normal lives while I was sick, to my parents and family, and to the world. What would it matter if I sought an outlet - even a destructive one - in order to help me cope with that pain? Listening to this song and watching some of the music videos from YouTube reminded me that people deal with pain on a daily basis all over the world... and sometimes, all it takes is one person who cares to help that other person feel and know the love of Christ. All it takes is one person to care to stop someone from harming him or herself. I found that one person for me, and realised... there was more than just one. People cared. My friends who I thought hardly remembered I existed called me, sent me books, tea, and notes, and baked special cookies that I could eat. And then, I realised that it was possible for people I didn't really know, but who were part of the body of Christ, to also care deeply. I am so thankful for these people who showed me I was not invisible to them, or to God, and who demonstrated that they loved me.

You Are More - I also first listened to this song when I was considering self-harm. So many things about this song impacted me. The main thing was that... it was so... me. It described everything I was feeling ("she's heard all the answers, she's rehearsed all the lines, but she can't shake the feeling that it's not true tonight"). And it described everything that I was hoping someone would come and tell me, but that no one person was ("this is not about what you've done, but what's been done for you; this is not about where you've been, but where your brokenness brings you to"). I clung to this song while wondering if I really was remade, if I was saved, if I could have any hope. I am so happy... that I am more. Because what's been done for me, where my brokenness brings me, and what it took to forgive me all point to one place - and that is the bloody cross, where Jesus died to pay for my sins and correct my mistakes and make the right choices when I utterly failed.

1 comment:

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.