Monday, March 4, 2013

A Defense of Weirdness

In my journey toward healing, I have had to overcome certain self-errected or culturally-erected barriers. I thought the barriers were good and necessary, but I have realised that they are actually unnecessary and, in fact, more than a little silly. What held me back was not a legitimate problem, but rather a fabricated fear. I was scared... of the unknown.

So I took a leap. I did something different. 

For a while, I was almost scared of the steps I had taken. I felt somehow that maybe I had done something wrong. After all, I had been told my entire life it was wrong. But I think... in fact, I'm quite sure... I had been deceived.

There's nothing wrong with alternative medicine. In most cases, there isn't much that's even mystical about it. Practicing yoga, tai chi, or qi gong may have religious overtones in some eastern religions, but they are also perfectly valid forms of (great!) exercise. Meditation, tapping, chakra healing, massage therapy, muscle testing, reiki, acupuncture and acupressure might not have been originally based in science, but their claims have been verified by science over and over again. What I have learned is htat these things work, and more importantly, of what I have tried, they work for me.

It's hard to do something new, something different, something that at first feels a little weird. But who knows? It could be a rewarding experience... if you'll only try.

Blessings on your journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.