Tuesday, March 19, 2013

And another 'chronic' is added to the list...!

Hello, you faithful handful of readers. :)

It's been a while since I've blogged, I know. Between candida cooking, starting work at Jackson Plumbing at the end of February and the same day coming down with a second bad cold of this winter, I've had my hands full. I had a phone appointment with Dr. Conley last week and he thinks these colds are really flares of a chronic sinus infection. That makes sense to me. Trouble is, I've never had a sinus infection before, so I was clueless on how to treat it. I started out treating for a cold: olive leaf extract, vitamin c, zinc, oil of oregano, and various herbal teas. But now I'm starting to get into the down-and-dirty let's-blow-this-baby-out-of-my-mucosis-membrane phase.

So the question is, how does one naturally treat a chronic sinus infection? Antibiotics are out of the question for me. My gut has enough issues.... Up to this point I've been trying to work with it by doing some pressure point/manipulation a to attempt to get the sinuses to drain. These seem to work well, especially in the morning. I wake up stuffy, do some of these, and can usually tell a difference within several minutes.

Today the fatigue struck along with the sinus pressure, so I was unable to do those. But I found out about this really cool contraption called a neti pot. It's a little tea pot sort of pitcher that you use for nasal rinsing. Unfortunately, I don't have one -_- I tried to improvise one this afternoon, but it didn't work out so great. But something similar worked. I read a blog about a young woman who naturally treated her chronic sinus infection. She was also dealing with candida (which, incidentally, causes sinus infections. Dur....). She visited a naturopathic doctor who soaked cotton balls in essential oils and stuffed them up her nose. I tried this with a few drops of peppermint and lavender. It burns like all get out, but if you can distract yourself for 10-15 minutes and leave it in there for that long, it does seem to help. I am contemplating doing this with oil of oregano tomorrow as well.

In other news, I am considering a completely grain free diet starting soonish. I've been having some not-great digestion even with the candida diet, so we'll have to see what I can do about that. More supplements are on their way from Vitacost, which will hopefully assist in this adventure. :)

Thanks for reading, and best of luck on your journey towards healing.

Camille

P.S. written on my mini; kindly pardon any typos or auto-correct non-corrects ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.