Monday, September 17, 2012

Hard Thing: Breathing

Most, if not all of you, are probably familiar with the Rebelution and their theme phrase, 'Do Hard Things.' It means just what it says; you should do hard things instead of easy things. Doing hard things is something I've struggled with over the course of the past several years, even before I became sick, and since 'doing hard things' is so imbedded into my brain, its a difficult thing to stop. My hard things are transforming before my eyes.

Breathing never used to be a hard thing, but through some self-discovery a few weeks ago, I realised that something so simple and basic as breathing was actually a hard thing for me. The process of a breath seems so simple, that it seems almost impossible to think a person could breath 'wrongly.' Inhale - pause - exhale - wait. Then repeat. Over and over again. Automatically. Unthinkingly, almost.

I realised that after I deeply inhaled, I would pause for a brief moment and then puff out my exhale with an inaudible snort-like action. Then I would breath in again, as rapidly as I had exhaled. This panting-like method of breathing was getting me nowhere. I'm not sure which is more remarkable - that I was breathing wrongly, or that it took me so long to notice it.

Breathing became a very hard thing. I had to work to self-correct this pattern of wrong breathing. I noticed that it was most difficult to breathe properly when I was under stress. A friend worked with me a few times over Skype on some relaxation techniques, and the biggest one (besides slowing down my speech and thinking) was breathing.

Now I enjoy breathing. I will sit still for minutes at a time and feel the rhythmic motion of the breath going in my nose, expanding my lungs, stretching my diaphragm. I will hold that breath, savor it, and slowly let it out. Its smooth now. It's automatic. It's not effortless, yet, but it is wonderful... enjoyable.

I love to breathe.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Reminds me of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk64ptw_x8g

    I'm learning to breathe
    I'm learning to crawl
    I'm finding that You, and You alone can break my fall

    I'm living again
    Awake and alive
    I'm dying to breathe in these abundant skies

    This is a way that I say I need You
    This is a way that I say I love You
    This is a way that I say I'm Yours
    This is a way that I'm learning to breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a smartphone or kindle device? there are some relaxation/breathing apps I could refer you to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I do not. Thanks for thinking of that, though! :)

      Delete

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.