Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"All the cool kids pass out."

My first appointment with Dr. Agolli went well. He has been very gracious to me in providing excellent care. Progressive Medical Center is a fantastic clinic that offers excellent, professional, holistic care, and I am very happy to be a patient there.

From looking at my current bloodwork results and hearing all of my symptoms, Dr. Agolli is concerned with my adrenal function, extremely low iodine levels, and the possibility of Lyme's disease. Soon I should be able to start iodine and adrenal supplements (I was taking some from VitaCost, but I ran out/went off them for a while). He ran another blood test for Lymes (I was tested with a negative result in April), so hopefully I will find out the results of that soon.

As I mentioned earlier, part of the treatment from PMC involves IV treatment. I had my first IV Monday and have had one every day since. Yesterday's IV was a bit of an adventure :) I don't think the IV needle went in straight or something. Whatever happened to it, the needle was causing pain in my arm. I told the nurse, but I also began to feel hot all over, and my hearing started to fade. I could tell I was passing out. So I got to smell smelling salts for the first time. Be warned, they are nasty buggers! Then Laura, who is the best nurse ever next to my dear friend Jill, gave me a cotton ball full of essential oils, and after that I happily sniffed away while my IV dripped. I couldn't help but laugh when another patient remarked, "Yeah, all the cool kids pass out," while the nurse was removing his IV. The things you overhear in the IV room sure are strange!

Tomorrow I have another IV as well as a follow-up meeting with Dr. Agolli. Over the weekend I have some more at-home tests to do, one more IV on Monday, and then, sad to say, my short time at PMC will more than likely be over.

And now the million dollar question: how are you feeling, and are the IVs working? The answer? I believe they are working, and I am feeling better. I still notice some of the POTS symptoms on occasion (the dizziness after standing up, etc.), but last night I felt energetic for the first time in a while. Yay! :)

I also attribute some level of improvement to the Valtrex. Brain fog is settling down, most notably. Another Yay! :)

And, as always, I attribute most improvement to my wonderful friends who have helped and supported me during this journey. You're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: If you have a health resource you can't resist sharing, I would love to hear about it if you feel it will be truly helpful. I am already doing my best to fight this illness from a nutritional, structural, as well as medical stand-point. Please avoid comments with "miracle cure" stories about your Aunt Milly's granddaughter who drank coltsfoot tea for a week and has been fine ever since. I'm very thankful it worked for her in her case, but there are so many environmental, emotional, and other factors that make CFS/ME complicated and different from just an average illness. That being said, please leave thoughtful and uplifting comments below.